Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sesame Seed Buns

I'm not going to apologize again for the long break in between my blog posts this time. Life is very busy for me and I just don't have the time to bake new breads every week!

This past (black) Friday, I ventured out to Half Price Books in search of a good deal on some cooking and bread baking books. I wanted to find a book that would help renew my interest in exploring new types of breads. And I may have found that book. Step-By-Step Bread has a bunch of images to help visualize each step of the bread making process, so it's a lot easier for me to understand what's going on! I've flipped through most of the book now and I would highly recommend it to anyone who would like the extra help.

Today, I decided to keep it simple: Sesame Seed Buns. These soft bread rolls are very easy to make and are great for packed lunches, hot ham sandwiches on a Sunday morning, or for sandwiching homemade burgers, preferably black bean burgers!


Sesame Seed Buns
(yields 8 buns)

450g (3 1/3 cups) white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried yeast
12 fl oz warm water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp sesame seeds

Stir the flour and salt together in a large bowl, then make a well in the middle. Pour the yeast into 12fl oz warm water and then add the oil. Then tip this liquid into the well and quickly stir together. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes, or until it is smooth. Shape into a ball by bringing the edges into the middle, then turn into a large oiled bowl. Cover loosely with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, lightly dust a large baking tray with flour.

When ready, scoop the dough on to a lightly floured surface, dust with a little flour, then knead briefly. Pull the dough into 8 even-sized pieces, then shape into rounds. Place on to the floured baking tray, well spaced apart, then leave for 30 minutes, or until increased in size and pillowy. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Once risen, brush the buns lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds over each bun. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden, risen, and round. Lift off the sheet and cool on a wire rack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;